Field Study #4



Photo from Same Location Each Visit 


Date - November 2, 2025

Time - 4:34 p.m.

Temperature - 50°F

Weather - Mostly cloudy, 12mph wind NE

Length of day - 10 hours 15 minutes

Organisms observed - Lots of birds, some bugs, lots of trees, brush, plants etc

Sounds heard - wind, especially rustling the leaves, lots of birds calling, a neighbor mowing their lawn

Questions - I wonder when our first snow will be this year? I wonder what affected the decrease in chipmunk and squirrels? I wonder how having our first hard freeze of the year will affect my field.

Changes noticed since last visit - I noticed no chipmunk or squirrels today which I usually find lots of. There were lots more leaves fallen, and a huge changes in the color of leaves, as they became more yellow, red and orange. 




Sapling is now about 9.5 inches tall! This is a clubmoss, it is likely a Dendrolycopodium obscurum, also known as a ground pine or princess pine. These are actually not trees and instead using only grow to be a maximum of 10 inches. They are instead defined as a clubmoss, which is closely related to a fern. They are often mis-identified as a "mini" or sapling of a pine tree because of there similar appearance. 
(Which is what I did!)




Found interesting orange moss/mold on a fallen tree.







Noticing a lot more fallen leaves, and a big change in color of the leaves; they are now more orange, yellow and red. Also now have increased visibility when looking through the trees due to the falling of their leaves.










Comments

  1. Great pics and descriptions! Are you noticing patterns in the color change and leaf fall?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment